2. What Personal Information Do We Collect?
We collect and aggregate personal information that you may provide in completing your transaction(s) with us, which may include your contact information, information from and about your transactions with us, and other information from the devices or accounts you use to interact with us. Here are some examples of personal information we collect:
Technical device information: We also automatically collect personal and technical information from the devices you use to connect to our website, using cookies, pixels, proximity beacons and other location based technologies, and other digital markers. This information may include your IP address, unique device identifiers, geolocation, browser type, internet service provider, hardware model, operating system and application version. When you use or interact with our website (including any mobile applications), we may also record certain information and store it in log files, including location information, referring and exit pages, time and date stamp, search terms, clickstream data and other behavioral information. Sorne or all of this information may constitute personal information if we can use it to personally identify you. In some situations, you may be able to configure your browser or device settings to control what information we collect. For more information on how we may collect and use this information to market to you, please see Section 4 of this Policy - Online Information and Targeted Advertising.
Career information: We receive and may store personal information provided to us when you apply for employment with us or any of our affiliated companies, if applicable. This information may include your name, educational and employment background, contact information, job qualifications and skills, and jobs for which you may wish to be considered. You may choose to provide additional information, such as your resume or CV, employment references, and salary requirements. Your provision of this information in connection with seeking employment at Sherbrooke Honda (or its affiliates) is voluntary and you determine the extent of the information you provide. Your decision not to provide such information may affect Sherbrooke Honda's ability to consider you for employment. This information is not shared except as necessary for establishing, managing or terminating an employment relationship.
Communications and interactions: If you email, call, chat online, visit or otherwise interact with us, we may collect the information you provide during those communications, such as the content of your comments, complaints, feedback and inquiries.
3. How Do We Collect Your Personal Information?
In most cases, we collect information about you when you provide it to us or our related companies, agents, or service providers. We collect your personal information from your purchase, lease or service transactions, other interactions with us, and from publicly available sources. We also automatically collect technical information when you visit and interact with our website, mobile and online services. We collect personal information when you purchase, finance, lease, repair your vehicle, or otherwise complete a transaction for products or services from us; through customer service surveys or contests; when you make customer service inquiries; when you interact with us in other ways; or when we respond to your requests for information.
We also collect information that you provide during visits to Sherbrooke Hondas premises or our websites, social media pages, or other online resources. This may include information about the products and services offered by us and in which you may be interested, your contact information (such as phone number, home and email address, etc.) and language preferences, and contest or promotional entry information.
We also collect information relating to your service transactions with us, including any information you provide to book a service appointment through our service department or the customer portal we make available to you on our website. To better understand your needs as a customer and improve the provision of these products and services offered to you by us, we may occasionally send you customer surveys which could ask you to provide information regarding your customer experience, personal preferences, and lifestyle demographics.
4. Online Information and Targeted Advertising
When you engage with us online, we use tracking tools to collect information about your use of our website, social media accounts and your online activities, so that we can better understand your interests and marketing preferences and provide you with interest-based advertising most relevant to your activities and interests. You can take preventative steps if you do not wish to receive interest-based advertising from us. We believe that personalized, interest-based advertising is more helpful and relevant to you. We use the information collected from our website(s) and other unaffiliated websites to better understand your preferences as an actual or potential customer, and to improve your access to our products and services most relevant to your displayed activities and interests.
Sherbrooke Honda and its third-party service providers (i.e. our advertising partners and analytics providers) may use tracking tools such as cookies, pixels, proximity beacons and other location-based technologies, and other digital marker technologies to collect information about your online or mobile activity over time and across our websites, social media sites and unaffiliated websites. These digital marker technologies often involve a small text or image file that a website places on your computer to identify the program you are using (web browser, email client, etc.), or to determine when you have opened or interacted with promotional communication from us. Sherbrooke Honda and its analytics providers may use the information from digital markers to store any preferences that you select; improve the performance of our online or mobile offerings and make them faster and easier for you to navigate; and also to help us understand how you respond to promotional communications. Sherbrooke Honda and its advertising partners may use this information to deliver future personalized Sherbrooke Honda advertisements to you via certain advertising networks, even when you visit non-Dealer websites, or when you may be able to take advantage of a special offer when you are in the vicinity of our dealership.
We may also use third-party social networking platforms (such as Facebook, Google, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) to show you interest-based advertisements based on your interactions with us, and to measure how you interact with those advertisements. We may do this using tracking tools such as cookies, pixels, beacons, or by using targeted advertising features developed by the social networking platforms that you use. If you would like more information, we recommend that you visit and review the advertising and privacy policies of your social networking platforms. You may be able to configure your browser or device settings to control what information we collect. Most browsers can be configured not to accept cookies, and detailed instructions are usually available online or from the developer. However, this may prevent you from having access to certain functions and services on our websites or other online or mobile services.
You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our emails and performed certain functions with them. There are some additional technological means that will help you limit advertising networks tracking your website activities in order to deliver personalized advertising content to you. Deleting browser cookies can remove your opt-out preferences, so you should use these tools periodically to ensure that your preferences are up-to-date. To register your preferences with participating online advertising networks, please visit the following sites:
- Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) of Canada: Understanding Online Advertising
- DAA YourAdChoices: DAA WebChoices Browser Check
- Network Advertising Initiative: Opt Out of Interest-Based Advertising
If you would like to limit social network advertising, please adjust your social network advertising settings or use opt-out features that may be provided in the social network advertisement. Note that if you register your preference to opt out from personalized advertising with all the networks referred to above, you may still receive online advertising from us on other websites or applications, but these ads will not be personalized for you based on your interests.
5. How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We may use your personal information for the particular reason it was collected, and also to market our products and services relating to your transaction with us, administer your account, or to offer you other products and services. We may use your personal information to:
- complete your credit application and verify your information;
- enter into and perform your transactions for the use, purchase, finance, lease, or repair of products and services offered by us and our service providers;
- respond to your inquiries and requests as a customer or potential customer (e.g. to set up a test drive or a service visit);
- maintain our customer service records;
- advise you of any warranty, product recalls, customer service campaigns, or customer notices regarding your products and services;
- better understand your needs and preferences as a customer or potential customer based on your usage and feedback, so that we can improve our operation and administration and the products and services we offer;
- market products and services to you, including sending mailers and performing targeted personalized marketing based on your information, vehicle service history and interests;
- administering contests and promotions that you have entered;
- respond to your comments or requests for information;
- perform market research, and aggregate your data in a non identifiable form to analyze trends, develop reports;
- protect against fraud or error;
- enforce our legal rights and compliance with our terms and conditions;
- meet legal and governmental obligations;
- meet internal business purposes; and
- fulfill other purposes we may identify at the time of collection.
6. How Do We Share Your Personal Information?
We may disclose your personal information to third parties: if Sherbrooke Honda has a good-faith belief that such disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example, to prevent potential harm to it, its customers, or the public); in connection with a government inquiry or law enforcement activities; in litigation or dispute resolution; or to detect, prevent or address fraud or security issues. Your personal information may be shared or transferred to third parties, as permitted or required under applicable laws, if you have entered into a lease or financing transaction that is transferred or assigned to a third party or third parties. Your personal information may also be disclosed to third parties in connection with the due diligence for, and completion of, a business transaction, including, without limitation, the sale of certain assets of Sherbrooke Honda or a securitization or financing involving Sherbrooke Honda or its affiliates.
7. Your Consent and Marketing Messages
We may send you promotional emails, text messages, phone calls or other messages from time to time. You may receive emails, texts, or other electronic marketing messages from us if you have:
- provided us your express consent to receive these messages;
- recently purchased or leased a product or service from us, entered into a contract with us or some other form of business relationship with us;
- requested information from us; or
- applicable law otherwise permits us to send marketing messages to you.
- You may receive telemarketing calls from us if you have an existing or recently expired agreement with us for a product or service, or some other form of business relationship with us, or have provided your express consent to receive autodialer calls, and have not requested to be removed from our internai (or the National) Do-Not-Call List within the time period in which we must update our records.
- Yoù may unsubscribe from any of these kinds of promotional messages at any time by contacting us via Section 9 below. In some circumstances, Canadian laws may permit us to contact you via email, text, telephone or other means, even if you have not provided your consent or have already unsubscribed from our electronic or telephone marketing messages. For example, this could happen in the context of a product recall, a leasing notice, a warranty message, or an informational update about a product or service you obtained from us.
8. Protection of Your Personal Information
We maintain and safeguard your personal information using reasonable security standards. We will delete your personal information when it is no longer necessary or relevant, subject to legal retention requirements. Your personal information may be stored and processed inside or outside of Canada. We maintain safekeeping protocols, including the use of data security standards, to preserve the confidentiality of your personal information and ensure that it is only used for the purposes that we have identified. Please be aware though that, despite these efforts, no security measures are perfect and no systems are impenetrable. We regularly review our collection, storage, and processing practices to prevent unauthorized access to our systems. We restrict access to your personal information to only those staff members, affiliates, and service providers who require that information to carry out the identified purposes, and anyone with this access is subject to strict confidentiality obligations.
Please note that you are solely responsible to maintain the confidentiality of any password(s) relating to your ownership and use of products and services offered by us. Your privacy can be enhanced by using suitably strong passwords that are not reused on other sites. If you believe your password has been compromised, you should change it immediately. We retain your personal information only as long it is reasonably necessary or relevant for the purposes identified when you provided the personal information, for any new purposes identified and to which you have consented, or as required by law. Your personal information may be stored and/or processed or otherwise used by or on behalf of Sherbrooke Honda both inside and outside of Canada. If Sherbrooke Honda service provider is located outside Canada, your personal information may be processed and stored in a country that has laws that are different from those in Canada, and where the government may be able to obtain disclosure of your personal information under those local laws. At present, Sherbrooke Honda, Honda, and their service providers may store, process, or otherwise use your personal information in Canada, the United States and Japan.
9. Questions About Your Personal Information